“An important aspect of power system design involves consideration of service reliability requirements of loads to be supplied and service reliability provided by any proposed system.”
This study evaluates the impact on service reliability, as well as costs to change components (if necessary), system configuration, protection and switching scheme or system operating policy including maintenance practices.
Nomenclature for discussions of power system reliability:
- availability of components
- expected interruption duration exposure time
- failure & failure rate (forced outage rate)
- forced unavailability
- interruption & interruption frequency
- outage & repair time
- scheduled outage duration, rate and time
Fundamentally, stability is the property of a power system containing two or more synchronous machines. The machine is stable, under best of conditions, if all of its synchronous machines remain in step with one another.
Methods of evaluation:
- Steady–state stability
- Transient and dynamic stability